August 2022 – Cultural Competence
- Be vulnerable, ask questions and listen with intent to make others feel welcome while sharing
- Validate understanding of cultures by restating what you heard in your words
- Find mentors of similar and different cultures to broaden your scope of understanding and encourage and inspire others to do the same
- Culture is not (always) visible – don’t jump to conclusions as different experiences may shape culture
- Institutional culture can create silos between teams, divisions, and people but culture is typically driven by leadership. It is important to be open and understanding as a leader to drive a culture of inclusion
These challenging, insightful conversations have the potential to break down barriers that inhibit growth within an individual or organization!