May 2022 – Microaggressions
- Microagressions are often unintentional and subtle
- Often it’s up to the receiver of the aggression to have the courage to say something and voice that they were offended
- As leaders we can be transparent in our microagression journey and create a culture of accountability and learning.
- Instead of saying “Where are you from?” say, “What is your ethnicity?”
- Micro aggressions can turn to macro aggressions very quickly with intent.
- People’s feelings about the microaggressions they experience can be likened to paper cuts – one or two small ones sting but they heal quickly however as they are experienced more and more, one little paper cut may illicit a larger response.